Friday, November 05, 2004

Stewards!

My Dearest Kendrah,

Well, Aragorn has a really good grasp on the whole republic/democracy thing, but he's still a big fan of divine right monarchy. I pointed out that it didn't work so well for folks on Numenor when when their king went all crazy, started making offerings to a Dark Lord and burning anyone who disagreed with him to death on Sauron's altars. Aragorn then asked what was to stop the president from burning his rivals to death in a religious fervor, and sadly, I didn't have an answer.

I think the two President Bushes so close together confuse the monarchists...Aragorn has taken to calling Bill Clinton "the steward." And he says it with that smirk Mithrandir used on Denethor. Then he chuckles and pats me on head and says not to worry. . . if necessary, we'll move up the wedding so I can become an official citizen of Gondor and get the heck out before the worst happens. I was hoping to have running water installed before I made the move permanent, but I may not have the luxury. I expect we'll be getting a lot of refugees from the "real world" in the next year or so.

If you're free next week, can you come spend a few days in Minas Tirith? I need to get Denethor's old rooms cleaned and I could use the help. His weird collection of artifacts is starting to freak out the maids. I can't get anybody to go up to that tower anymore! They claim the knick-knacks are watching them! I told them...if you look at it...and it looks back...just leave it alone and call Mithrandir immediately...but they aren't convinced it's safe up there. I thought we could spend some time tidying up the place and redecorating a bit. If Gregor hasn't gotten a new movie, maybe he can give us a hand. I'd love to have him redo all the residential areas. it's all so stark! Faramir and Eowyn plan to winter with us since Ithilian is still almost uninhabitable. Faramir is (understandably!) a bit leery of taking over his dad's old place, but there aren't a lot of towers suitable for use by the Steward and his family. I'm sure Gregor could do something nice for them.

I promised Aragorn I'd spend most of next week with him in MT since I was so wrapped up here all week. Check you calendar and let me know if you're free for a cleaning spree. Bring Legolas along if you like. Eomer will be in for a few days and it might be nice for the boys to get together.

Your Affectionate Friend,
Corwynne

No comments: