Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving

My Dearest Kendrah,

I hope your Thanksgiving was pleasant and relatively stress free. I'm reporting in from Raleigh NC. where the beer count has come in at about 5.33 bottles of beer per day per person, not counting five litres of some German beer that came in a big can and a bottle of wine. My brothers caught occasional glimpses of Aragorn, but he was in and out a lot the past few days. Apparently the PJ-Hobbit-New Line news is causing quite an uproar in Middle Earth and when there's trouble in ME, there's trouble in the White City.

I'm not sure how much Leggs has told you (or for that matter how much he knows) but apparently PJ and New Line are not seeing eye to eye and it looks like the studio now plans to make the Hobbit without PJ. I don't want to go into details, but pop on over to theonering.net and read the letter from PJ and Fran as well as some of the fan reaction. Needless to say there is a great deal of concern. Representatives from the Middle Earth Travel and Tourism board are camped out in our Great Hall demanding that the king "take steps." Apparently there is some concern that a new director may not accurately represent the culture and peoples of the various kingdoms (Borat syndrome!).

Someone must have slipped Thranduil a bootleg copy of the old Rankin and Bass cartoon and he is far from pleased. Riders from Mirkwood are arriving almost hourly. Let's hope he doesn't plan to make the trip himself! And Durin's Folk! There are dwarves everywhere trying to get a royal audience! So far Faramir's been able to keep them in line, but you know how stubborn dwarves can be. I've asked Gimli to come over to try to keep the situation under control. I've no doubt that representatives of the Shire will be arriving any day now. (Note to self--air out the Hobbit-sized beds!)

Honestly, I don't think there is much we can do from Middle Earth to influence PJ or the studio. Aragorn is putting together a committee to study the issue, but we don't have enough information yet to know what "steps" to take. For the moment the Crown is urging patience. I wish Gandalf would pop in. I'd love to get his reaction, since this affects him directly. Perhaps we'll have news of him soon.

Well, I should finish my last beer and get to bed. It's been stressful dealing with the holiday and "The Hobbit" issue. I will contact you and representatives from the settlement as soon as I have more information.

Your Affectionate Friend,
Corwynne

No comments: