Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Current Age

My Dearest Kendrah,

I am so glad we had an opportunity to share in GBS's best night ever. The respite from the rigors of planning our national New Year's celebration was much needed.

I am also pleased that you and Leggs have been able to spend so much time with us over the past week. I look forward to seeing you again for the New Year's Day festivities. (PS...if you haven't picked up a birthday gift yet, Aragorn could use some new hiking socks.

Poor Aragorn! He's in a bit of a funk. The days leading up to March 25 always make him a bit sad and contemplative. Not that I blame him. Just a few short years ago he was having no fun at all on March 22.

"And from that evening onward the Nazgûl came and followed every move of the army. They still flew high and out of sight of all save Legolas, and yet their presence could be felt, as a deepening of shadow and a dimming of the sun; and though the Ringwraiths did not yet stoop low upon their foes and were silent, uttering no cry, the dread of them could not be shaken off." (RoTK)

When I got home from work last night he was hiding out in my apartment, trying to avoid being seen. But I always know he's there and when he's in a bad mood. So instead of asking him to help clean up a bit I suggested we watch "A History of Violence". I know he was interested in seeing Viggo in a film that didn't involve horses, dirt and a bad haircut. Unfortunately it just made matters worse. “Your Age is far to complicated!” he complained. “Am I supposed to like Viggo’s character? He’s all complex with hidden agendas and I don’t know if he’s a good guy or bad guy. How do you know who the real enemy is? In my day it was easy, they all wore black and/or hissed! And everybody lies! In my day, only servants of Shadow spoke untruths...”

I see now we have entered dangerous rant territory. Once the “In my day” talk starts, I just don’t know what to say! Mostly because I agree with him! Things were much simpler in the early ages. I finally suggested that we forget all about the Current Age and pop over to Pippin’s room. I heard he and Merry brought in fresh supply of pipeweed. The visit seemed to cheer him up a bit. Pippin has the effect.

Well, not a very cheerful post, I’m afraid. I suppose we’ll just have to stick it out. Hope you and Leggs return soon!

Your Affectionate Friend,
Corwynne

No comments: