Monday, March 19, 2007

Doom

My Dearest Kendrah,

I must first apologize for the lateness of my reply. It has been an incredibly hectic month for both me and the king. But I finally have some answers!

Yeastrday afternoon I was finally able to spend a bit of time with the king as he needed to give me his guest list for my birthday party. Politics!

Anyway, while we sitting around hand-addressing envelopes (because labels are tacky!), I casually mentioned I needed some assistance with Elvish translation. He agreed to assist. I warned him it probably wouldn't be pleasant and gave him the list:
gothrim - my foes
wethrinaer - deceitful ones
olwince - stick
awarth - abandonment
dagnir - bane

He looked at me sadly "Where did you encounter these ill-omened words?" I told him Leggs is having nightmares and talking in his sleep. (I then had to explain that it was YOU not I awakened by his cries in the night. The king is so cute, and slightly dangerous, when he's jealous!) I mentioned you had tried your best to get the information from Leggs but..."Don't tell me!" the king replied. "He pulled that "The grief is still too near crap again, didn't he?" I confirmed that yes, that was was indeed the crap he pulled (and when did the king start saying 'crap'?!), and if this is related to the DOOM the two of the have been going on about for months he'd better just cowboy up and let me in on their little secret because I've had just about enough of his moping!.

So, he makes me sit down, takes my hand and give me the sad wizard eyes Gandalf gave Frodo when he found out Bilbo's old ring was THE ring. "I hate to be the one to tell you this, but we will not be camping with quite a few of our Pennsic camp mates this year." He started to give be detailed explanation worthy of the Professor himself, but here's the Indigo "sum up" version. Most of Eastmar and a few of the folks we considered Silver Phoenix decided they wanted a smaller, more intimate camp. So they worked out a plan, talked to Pennsic officials and sent a "done deal" sort of email to Lady Maggie and Lord Amron. Emails went back and forth to the land autocrat and it appears the issue has at last been settled. Ask Leggs for more details when the grief is further away.

"And everybody is ok with this?" I asked.

"Well, people's feelings are hurt and people are angry and I'm pretty sure some relationsips have been irrevocably damaged" (look at him using big words!). "What REALLY pisses me off" (back to being crass again), "is how much more pleasant the whole thing could have been had we been involved from the beginning. I know I've only been around for a few years, but I would have liked to have been in on the discussion, maybe offer an opinion, share MY feelings. Heck, I actually think splitting up the camp is good idea, maybe even something you all should have done years ago, but, by Elbereth, I resent people treating me like an unreasonable child or presuming to know my thoughts on a subject without asking me!!"

Now, that's quite a long speech from my usually reticent Ranger. And for once, he and I are pretty much in agreement. I know just how he feels. He claims he didn't tell me sooner because I was having so much Primary Reality stress, he didn't want to add to it. Well, now that I know, and everything is settled, I look forward to planning our new campwhich will, I hope will contain far fewer stresses than dwelling in the old one! Aragorn already has some rather good suggestions...

Well, must dash. I'm in charge of children's activities for the Grove's Spring Celebration this Saturday. And no solution to my invitation printing issues! Argh! Hope all is well with you and work on the new house is progressing.

Your Affectionate Friend,
Corwynne

No comments: